A couple of weeks ago, I had an excellent day dyeing fabrics with Birmingham Embroiderers’ Guild. Edwina Mackinnon led the workshop, teaching us how to achieve lovely effects with procion dyes. This post has the finished fabrics.
We started by dyeing a colour spectrum. As this post was likely to be very pic heavy, I created some slideshows instead:
Most of the techniques involved mixing dyes in various proportions in sequential bags, and adding fabrics scrumpled to get these lovely patterns.
The next set of fabrics I dyed was with complimentary colours, on a scale from fuchsia to green:
My favourite technique was this colour family dyeing one, where we added one colour of dye, allowed it to fix for a while, then rearranged the fabric, and poured a second colour in. This took in different places, so produced lovely crystal-like patterns:
We also did some folds to use up leftover dyes.
Folded into a square and dipped in dyes:
Folded into a long thin concertina, rolled up into a pinwheel, and then dipped in one colour of dye, with others poured on top.
Randomly scrumpled, dipped in one colour with another poured on top.
The last piece I did was plow dyeing, tightly pleating fabrics to get these strong patterns.
It was excellent fun, and I love the fabrics I made.
This morning, I set a batch of chutney going, using the apples from our tree. It’s been slowly brewing for hours now, so soon I will have to go and jar it up.
I’ve also discovered I can use my pyrography tool as a hot stencil cutter, so I cut the stencils in much quicker time and better detail than I was expecting. It’s hard to photograph clear plastic, so the best thing I could think of was to hang them on my washing line:
Honeysuckle, comfrey, ivy.
Bumble bee, lavender, apple blossom, chives.
I also cut positive and negative stamps of the bee, apple, ivy, and comfrey.
And blocked the Turner’s Hill TV tower piece.
I made this video for a friend, on how I line up the positive parts of afunkyfoam stamp when sticking them onto the foamboard. I’m putting it here for posterity, and in case any of you find it handy:
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.
I’m working towards a couple of competitions next year with a garden theme, so I have planned a couple of stencils. As per my usual style, they are rather complicated. If I can get them cut as planned, I will be very pleased.
Not too sure how to cut the hollyhocks!
I spent some lovely summer and early autumn evenings picking blackberries, giving me a 4kg harvest.
Last Sunday, a friend and I spent several happy hours in his kitchen, listening to some good music, and making jam.
Berries ready to go.
We had plenty of jars to use up.
Very precise measuring of jar apertures to cut waxed paper circles!
How much sugar!
Bubbling nicely 🙂
I didn’t take any more photos after this, but we made 13 jars of blackberry jam, and 8 jars of blackberry and apple jelly. It’s lovely, great in porridge.
We also made some non-Newtonian semi-Freddo, with some of the water which we poured over the berries, boiled for a bit, and then changed our minds, so poured it off and froze it. It is amazing, quite tart, but wonderful with chocolate ice cream. We’ll never be able to replicate it, sadly.
Moka Pots is now finished! The weekend after next, it will be in the competition at the West Country Quilt Show, where my lovely friend Hilary will also have a stand.
I’m pleased with it. I can see all its flaws and imperfections, but it is the biggest and most cohesive thing I have made so far.