In order to start stitching into the pieces I made on the stitch retreat, I need to first patch up some of the gaps in the background.
When I bonded the background down, I didn’t realise, but I had lots of little gaps, which you can see in the image below, particularly at the bottom left:
The edge of the ruler in this image shows where the edge of the piecing should be; I’m a long way off in some cases.
I bonded the back of two sheets paper with bondaweb. The colours are a bit brighter than my original pieces, but I can work into them with crayons if needed.
Here’s the piece finished, with all patches in place – I just tore them to size and ironed them down. I checked it by holding it up to the light – as the backing felt is white, it is easy to see where the ‘holes’ are.
Next, machine embroidery.