Pink Pig Bargain Box

I seem to be going through sketchbooks at a rate of knots, so I decided to order a Pink Pig bargain box – at least 13kg of sketchbooks for £30.20, including postage.

I got 19 books for my money, £1.59 per book, including:

  • 1 X A5 fat portrait pig
  • 6 X A4 portrait pigs
  • 1 X A3 portrait
  • 3 X A3 fat portrait pigs
  • 2 X 12×6 inch portrait pigs
  • 2 X 16×8 landscape pigs
  • 2 X A3 landscape pigs
  • 2 X A3 landscape pigs with black pages

Apparently they are all seconds, but the only issue I noticed was that one book has a dinged corner:

  
This is my pile, I am looking forward to filling them with beautiful art:

  

Lunchtime Colouring

I coloured this sketchbook page at lunch.
From this:

image

(I’d already added shadow to the words and done a bit of the coffee pot before I remembered to take a photo)

To this:

image

I love my Pablo pencils- they really lift the piece and are so easy to use.

Apparently I really like the pink, turquoise and lime green ones:

image

Tea or coffee?

I worked on the latest page in my sketchbook tonight:

  
It is built up with layers, a green Rollagraph print on the right hand side, a couple of stamps, coral sand and turquoise dyes, strips of washi tape, a gesso print of a coffee pot, some colouring with Pablo pencils, paint dabbers and gelatos, a tea packet, and tea tags.

  
  
I really love it, the colours and layers are wonderful. A friend gave me the tea packet – thank you David!

Another Tip In

I did a bit of Sketchbooking last night, tipping an A4 sheet into my fat pink pig to make this massive, lovely fold out page:

   
The page is tipped in with washi tape on both sides, and I love how well the washi tape takes gelatos.

I also went through the remaining blank pages in this book and added stamps and washi tape, to add background interest. They will probably be almost totally obliterated with paint, dye and colouring, but it will be anther layer. I am looking forward to seeing how they come out:

  

Coffee Pots: Print and Dye

Yesterday, I made some coffee pot stamps to go with the stencils. They are both double sided, with the positive image on one side, and the negative on the other:  

This morning I cut a couple of word stencils to go with the coffee pots; milk and coffee in Italian:   

Trying them out with dabbers:

   

I did some printing with them and the stamps:

 

The Gelli plate prints were sometimes a bit indistinct, whereas I liked the crisp lines of the directly printed stencils, so I combined them both:   

 

I love the way that dye transforms prints. I had about 6 sketchbooks on the go, so I have lots of lovely prints to work into in the evenings ahead.

 

Some of the pages in my small sketchbook:

  
   

  
I made this zigzag book and card to use as tip ins in my sketchbooks:

  

And I started decanting my dyes into pots that are all the same size.  Previously they were in miscellaneous jam jars, which got me going using dyes, but wasn’t good for easy storage:

  
A lovely, long day of making.

Cutouts and Coffee Pots

Last night, I cut the two coffee pot stencils. They are the most complicated stencils I have cut, but the gyro cut made it easier, and I learned more about using the tool; namely that it is much easier to push away from you than pull towards, and I prefer to cut curves before straight lines.

I did one print with each stencil and also got the excess paint off one into my sketchbook

The large coffee pot stencil (a bit hard to see): 

The positive and negative prints. The positive is on the front of a board book I am altering, and the negative is on a page of my sketchbook that had scrap paint rolled onto it, both with a foam roller and the crackle Rollagraph, which is just lovely:  
I couldn’t resist adding a bit of dye:

 

Next, the three pots stencil: 
  
I put it on the  opposite page of my sketchbook, which also had some paint, and the blotted off dye from the previous page: 
The off print of this one didn’t go down well as I tried to roll it onto Khadi paper, which is too textured for the technique. Even with plenty of roller pressure I didn’t get a recognisable image. Oh well!

Next, I decided to cut some apertures in my little pink pig sketch book:

  
  
  
Not entirely sure about this one…

  
And I used the cut out spirals to decorate the front of the book, with gelatos:

  
All in all, a productive evening! Now I’m going to get up and cut some stamps.

  

Developing a design

I’ve fallen in love with my friends’ Moka pots. They have three of them, in different sizes, and I love the shape, so I’m going to use them for a new design. I started out by printing the images, and tracing them onto acetate. I’m planning to cut stencils and stamps of them over the weekend:

  
   

And I’ve planned a stencil: