Day 87

Today was a marvellous day with friends from Birmingham Embroiderers’ Guild, on an Art Van Go dayschool, playing with all sorts of marvellous paints and other mediums.



Exploring different pressures with rollers on black card.



Using masking tape to mask off areas to add to the design. The lovely fronds marks at the lower right were made by pressing paint together on two print plates, then pressing one lightly on the fabric.



Amazingly textured thick paint



Translucent paint, rollers and stamps.



Iridescent markals through a stencil on earlier layers of paint.



More lovely markal paint sticks over maskng tape – this is starting to take shape!



Stencilling my figures with markal on earlier layers of paint.



Gold and silver markal through a stencil, on earlier layers of paint, with a few extra lines.



Markal paintstiks over texture plates, cotton reels and a woodblock, on brown linen.



Lots of lovely lumiere metallic paint, mostly rollered very gently over texture plates, with masking tape masks.



Some of the pieces I made. I don’t have a bigger photo of the colourful sheet on the left. It is lokta paper, with swipes of translucent golden fluid acrylics – beautiful paints, and worth saving up the pennies for!



My shopping – two gorgeous colours of lumiere, two of the print plates, a pallete knife for nice swipe printing, and a tub of sand medium for more texture

All in all, an amazing day. I learned so much and really enjoyed building up the layers. If you get a chance to learn stuf from Viv at Art van Go, do take it up!

Day 67

Today I got up quite early and finished the pages for the next travelling book I’m working in, which you’ll recognise from yesterday. I stuck them into the book, and added some simple printing to tie them together:

IMG_2216

Here’s my inspiration page:

IMG_2220

I also finished my scroll, just in time to hand it in for exhibiting at the Embroiderers’ Guild AGM next month.

First I picked a nice fabric for the backing, masked off a strip down the middle, and stencilled on some pink paint, to coordinate with the inside:

IMG_2224

IMG_2230

IMG_2234

IMG_2235

Then I stitched this wrong sides facing to the front of my piece, and turned it, so the long edges were already stitched down. After some ironing, I stitched the short edges down:

IMG_2236

Then I made some machine wrapped cord. I love this technique for turning various wools and yarns into cohesive cords.

From this…

IMG_2237

To this…

IMG_2238

A bit of careful hand stitching attached the cord, and here it is all tied up, ready to be discovered:

IMG_2239

IMG_2240

I might give it a tassel at some point, but for now I’m very happy with it as it is.

A couple of close up pics of the finished embroidery:

Continue reading