Day 103

After an interesting talk about Kyrgyzstan with my Embroiderers’ Guild, I decided to do some hand stitching on a collaged canvas that had been in the UFO box since January:

   

  

I also finished Bernadette’s travelling book page, which was swapped at the branch meeting, so I now have Margaret’s to work in.

 

  

Advertisements

Day 101

Today, I had an excellent day at the Embroiderers’ Guild national AGM. We enjoyed inspirational talks from Bobby Britnell and Jane E. Hall, a good and positive discussion about the future of the guild, and a chance to meet and catch up with fellow members.

After a brief trip home, Simon and I spent a great evening with friends, eating curry and playing board games.

When we got home at gone 10pm, I realised that I hadn’t done my 15 minutes, so I did some colouring in on some printed wooden spoon Gelli prints, for the current travelling book:

   

   

Day 97

Today I did some more hand stitching on my current traveling books piece, outlining this printed wooden spoon with spilt stitch, and some long stitches which will need couching down, possibly in green:

image

Also, as day 96, yesterday marked the point where all my 15 minutes added up to 24 hours of creativity, the equivalent of a solid day only making! It’s actually more than that, as several days, including the Stitch Retreat, the play day at Margaret’s and the AVG dayschool have been more like 8-10 hours than 15 minutes.

What a difference a few minutes makes!

Day 94

Today, as well as a flat car battery, trip to Halfords, hair cut (!), and curry, alcohol and board games with friends, it was Come Stitch With Us at the Library of Birmingham with my  Embroiderers’ Guild. I stitched an outline on these printed spoons in stem stitch:



Day 89

Today I decided what I want to do as the theme for my piece in Bernadette’s Travelling Book.

I’m going to focus on more lovely kitchen items, carrying on from the jugs in Clare’s book, so I gathered up six of my favourite wooden spoons:



Disclaimer: not all wooden spoons are spoons!

I did a first drawing, folding the page for symmetry where they are symmetrical, then inking the best lines:



I retraced these using the light box for a good pencil line…



…and then traced and overdrew them on the paper side of some self adhesive funky foam:



They are now ready to cut and adhere to foam board, prime with gesso, then they’re ready for a good Gelliping session.

It was very relaxing, listening to Sigur Rós and retracing these lovely smooth lines.

Day 67

Today I got up quite early and finished the pages for the next travelling book I’m working in, which you’ll recognise from yesterday. I stuck them into the book, and added some simple printing to tie them together:

IMG_2216

Here’s my inspiration page:

IMG_2220

I also finished my scroll, just in time to hand it in for exhibiting at the Embroiderers’ Guild AGM next month.

First I picked a nice fabric for the backing, masked off a strip down the middle, and stencilled on some pink paint, to coordinate with the inside:

IMG_2224

IMG_2230

IMG_2234

IMG_2235

Then I stitched this wrong sides facing to the front of my piece, and turned it, so the long edges were already stitched down. After some ironing, I stitched the short edges down:

IMG_2236

Then I made some machine wrapped cord. I love this technique for turning various wools and yarns into cohesive cords.

From this…

IMG_2237

To this…

IMG_2238

A bit of careful hand stitching attached the cord, and here it is all tied up, ready to be discovered:

IMG_2239

IMG_2240

I might give it a tassel at some point, but for now I’m very happy with it as it is.

A couple of close up pics of the finished embroidery:

Continue reading