This morning, I set a batch of chutney going, using the apples from our tree. It’s been slowly brewing for hours now, so soon I will have to go and jar it up.
I’ve also discovered I can use my pyrography tool as a hot stencil cutter, so I cut the stencils in much quicker time and better detail than I was expecting. It’s hard to photograph clear plastic, so the best thing I could think of was to hang them on my washing line:
Honeysuckle, comfrey, ivy.
Bumble bee, lavender, apple blossom, chives.
I also cut positive and negative stamps of the bee, apple, ivy, and comfrey.
And blocked the Turner’s Hill TV tower piece.
I’m working towards a couple of competitions next year with a garden theme, so I have planned a couple of stencils. As per my usual style, they are rather complicated. If I can get them cut as planned, I will be very pleased.
Not too sure how to cut the hollyhocks!
I’m spending Saturday and Sunday with Hilary Beattie, helping her with her gallery stand at the Knitting and Stitching show. It’s likely that we’ll spend the quieter times colouring in our sketchbooks. There’s only one problem; I have not printed anything in so long, that I have coloured pretty much everything I had printed. Cue some frantic printing tonight. I found some jug stencils I had cut but not used yet, so now I have some lovely jug pages. I didn’t get any photos of them because I was working really quickly to fit the printing in before my husband dished up our tea.
The coffee pots made an appearance too.
After dinner I sploshed some dye around, and got quite a few hopefully gorgeous pages ready to go. As I set off at just gone 6 tomorrow morning, the books are all propped open and drying, I hope they will be dry in time!
I also printed another page in an altered board book I am working on, including some prints with my 4″ round Gelli plate, which is utterly yumbo! I think the dye on his page looks like a friendly monster waving… can anyone say “Rorschach test”?
Anyway, time for sleep, as my train leaves in 8.5 hours…
I have put together a (mostly) textile collage, with fabrics I printed based on Bumble Hole nature reserve. Here it is as a I put it together layer by layer:
The crackle print and butterflies are printed on deli paper, they add a lovely contrast to knock back the main colours.
I didn’t bond the main focal point images of Cobb’s Engine house down, as I prefer to do the background quilting without needing to work round the focal points.
These are the threads I used to quilt it; the yellow is a lovely King Tut, and the other two are Madeira:
Here’s the quilting I did, all in one day! The zigzags are done with the foot on, the rest was free-motion stitched.
I’m pleased with the quilting, my travelling stitches are getting better.
I had to dye one of the background pieces to go along with the collage, as I didn’t have enough comparatively plain fabrics:
I put my sketchbook with Bumble Hole images in it under the fabric while it was drying, and also pressed the wet roll of fabric on the page, so a I got these lovely serendipitous spirals and drips:
At the Bramble Patch retreat in July, I showed Hilary Beattie my little sketchbook, and she really liked it. She asked if she could borrow it to share with her Facebook and YouTube followers, as it’s a great example of a play/sketchbook for learning your materials and trying out ideas.
Hilary has now posted the video, and I thought you might like to see it, both to see the book in more detail, and also, for me at least, it is fascinating to see my work through someone else’s eyes.
Watch the video here on Hilary’s YouTube channel.
Her channel is well worth subscribing to, and you can also follow her on Facebook here. She is very generous with her thoughts and ideas.