Day 87

Today was a marvellous day with friends from Birmingham Embroiderers’ Guild, on an Art Van Go dayschool, playing with all sorts of marvellous paints and other mediums.



Exploring different pressures with rollers on black card.



Using masking tape to mask off areas to add to the design. The lovely fronds marks at the lower right were made by pressing paint together on two print plates, then pressing one lightly on the fabric.



Amazingly textured thick paint



Translucent paint, rollers and stamps.



Iridescent markals through a stencil on earlier layers of paint.



More lovely markal paint sticks over maskng tape – this is starting to take shape!



Stencilling my figures with markal on earlier layers of paint.



Gold and silver markal through a stencil, on earlier layers of paint, with a few extra lines.



Markal paintstiks over texture plates, cotton reels and a woodblock, on brown linen.



Lots of lovely lumiere metallic paint, mostly rollered very gently over texture plates, with masking tape masks.



Some of the pieces I made. I don’t have a bigger photo of the colourful sheet on the left. It is lokta paper, with swipes of translucent golden fluid acrylics – beautiful paints, and worth saving up the pennies for!



My shopping – two gorgeous colours of lumiere, two of the print plates, a pallete knife for nice swipe printing, and a tub of sand medium for more texture

All in all, an amazing day. I learned so much and really enjoyed building up the layers. If you get a chance to learn stuf from Viv at Art van Go, do take it up!

Advertisements

Day 83

Today, as well as a day at work, buying a PA system for my EG branch, and meeting a fellow committee member to finish the 2016 programme, I did some colouring in my sketchbook with inktense pencils. Mostly adding lines and details:



Simon has said that he’s figured out why I love my sketchbook so much – because then I always have something on the go, with no need to finish something.

Interestingly, several pages that I thought of as ‘Done’ had extra added with the pencils today.

Day 81

Today was the third day of the Fashion, Embroidery and Stitch show. Simon joined mum and I for a look round the textile art, which was very enjoyable. We enjoyed looking at and chatting about all the art on display, as well as to the artists who shared their work and their knowledge.

One such artist is Lynda Monk, who was demonstrating work using spunbond and xpandaprint. I have had both of these in my stash for a while but not really used them, so when we got home, I got them out and painted a couple of figures, as well as some background stamping:



(The pot is holding it down because the is a crease in the spunbond. The xpandaprint has a shelf life of about 6 months, so I added a BBE date)



You can just about see the xpandaprint in this image.

I then zapped it:



The xpandaprint has raised, really bringing it out. The stamps are very effective, and I love seeing my figures in a different form.

I then coloured the piece with procion Mx dyes:



There was some dye pooling on the surface, so I took a mono print to lift the excess.



While I had the dyes out, I added some dye to various pages in my sketchbook, here are a few pictures:





I love my sun rays stencil, so I got this one, with rays in squares, at the show today:



It has already had an outing, adding dye to these pages:





The last thing I did was to add some treasure gold wax to some sketchbook pages:





Day 76

Last night, a friend lent me some of her lovely wooden printing blocks. I’m looking to purchase some at the Fashion, Embroidery and Stitch show at the weekend, so this is a good opportunity to work out which ones I like.

Unfortunately, I left the interior light on in the car last night, so the battery was flat when I started it this morning. I called the AA out, and thought I’d try the stamps while I was waiting. Sadly standing around in your work frock is not the best time to get out the paint, so I tried some rubbings instead, adding colour to existing sketchbook pages.

I’m really pleased with the results, some lovely textured impressions. Here are some of my favourites:

This is lots of layers, neocolour 1 in white, then two colours of dye, metallic paint, and finally a neocolour rubbing on top:



A lovely border stamp in blue:



Great green swirls, working well with this rubbing from an Indian metal stamp of a dancer:



These are the stamps that I liked best, at least for rubbings:



More lovely rubbings. Sorry for the long post, WordPress has removed the ‘cut’ button from the app!







Day 75

Monday was a very long day, with work, tea with a friend, and a Guild committee meeting. I still hadn’t done my 15 minutes when I got home at gone 10pm, so I sat in bed colouring Sunday’s printed papers.

I thought this post had published then, but it hadn’t, and I didn’t want to miss a day, so here it is!





Day 70

Today I did a bit of ‘colouring in’ in my sketchbook.

From this, with faint jugs:

IMG_2247

To this, brought the jugs out with neocolour crayons:

IMG_2254

Added some gold dots that I punched from the opposite edge of the facing page – I opened the hole punch to empty it and they were too good to waste!

IMG_2251

Collaged on some circles with silver patterns, and brought out another jug:

IMG_2252

IMG_2253

Added some crayon to this spread:

IMG_2250

IMG_2249

And I also did a bit on my Rhodes stitch sampler, which is coming along nicely!

IMG_2256