A productive day

This morning, I set a batch of chutney going, using the apples from our tree. It’s been slowly brewing for hours now, so soon I will have to go and jar it up.

I’ve also discovered I can use my pyrography tool as a hot stencil cutter, so I cut the stencils in much quicker time and better detail than I was expecting. It’s hard to photograph clear plastic, so the best thing I could think of was to hang them on my washing line:

Honeysuckle, comfrey, ivy.


Bumble bee, lavender,  apple blossom, chives.

I also cut positive and negative stamps of the bee, apple, ivy, and comfrey.


And blocked the Turner’s Hill TV tower piece.

Advertisements

A new beginning…

I’m working towards a couple of competitions next year with a garden theme, so I have planned a couple of stencils. As per my usual style, they are rather complicated. If I can get them cut as planned, I will be very pleased.


Not too sure how to cut the hollyhocks!

Cutting Stencils – Jugs

I have a lovely pair of stamps I had cut of a beautiful silver jug I own, but as I don’t have any other stencils or stamps to go with them, it is a bit hard to make a series of artwork. Of course, I don’t need to start anything right now, as I have enough on the go already, but the lure of spending an hour cutting stencils was too strong.

So I drew and cut these 4 jugs:


A bit hard to see until they get painty! The bottom right one is based on the jug stencil, then I will cut stamps to match the rest.

The Mens’ Gymnastics final hadn’t quite finished, and I was keen to see if Max Whitlock would make it a double gold, so I passed the time cutting these strips from the stencil acetate, using pattern scissors. I think they will be good for masks on the Gelli plate.


I have got some new acetate for stencils – it is frosted on one side, so I think it is actually presentation folder covers. It’s quite thick, so should be long lasting.

Sanctuary at The Bramble Patch – Update 1

I’ve arrived safely at the Bramble Patch, and having a great time.

This is my home for the next couple of days:


Hilary has brought the shop, it’s a bit too big for the tables, so some of it is underneath:


She’s brought her rabbit ears too!


The Bramble Patch has a cafe, which does excellent, exceedingly large slices of cake:


I’ve made three stencils so far, a grass stem, a section from the bridge, and Cobb’s Engine House.

Cutouts and Coffee Pots

Last night, I cut the two coffee pot stencils. They are the most complicated stencils I have cut, but the gyro cut made it easier, and I learned more about using the tool; namely that it is much easier to push away from you than pull towards, and I prefer to cut curves before straight lines.

I did one print with each stencil and also got the excess paint off one into my sketchbook

The large coffee pot stencil (a bit hard to see): 

The positive and negative prints. The positive is on the front of a board book I am altering, and the negative is on a page of my sketchbook that had scrap paint rolled onto it, both with a foam roller and the crackle Rollagraph, which is just lovely:  
I couldn’t resist adding a bit of dye:

 

Next, the three pots stencil: 
  
I put it on the  opposite page of my sketchbook, which also had some paint, and the blotted off dye from the previous page: 
The off print of this one didn’t go down well as I tried to roll it onto Khadi paper, which is too textured for the technique. Even with plenty of roller pressure I didn’t get a recognisable image. Oh well!

Next, I decided to cut some apertures in my little pink pig sketch book:

  
  
  
Not entirely sure about this one…

  
And I used the cut out spirals to decorate the front of the book, with gelatos:

  
All in all, a productive evening! Now I’m going to get up and cut some stamps.