Sorting the Dye Pots

I spent a few minutes sorting out my procion dyes this evening. They used to live in two boxes on a high shelf, then as I used them more, the boxes didn’t get put away, so just got in the way.

This evening, I moved some low quality paint that I don’t use often up to the top shelf, and sorted my dyes into trays by colour palette, with the pots of powder in the same tray to make mixing easier.


 This let me see which dyes I needed to mix a fresh batch of – apparently I love turquoise, orange and coral sand. Ice blue and old gold are new additions after the Hilary Beattie retreat in July.


And this is the dye trays, labelled, in pride of place next to my paints. I have a couple of spare trays, and I am hoping to learn more dye techniques on our Embroiderers’ Guild branch workshop with Edwina Mackinnon in November. The only problem I have now is that I have run out of pots.

Advertisements

Tidying and unpacking

Over the past few days, my husband and I have been tidying up my room, which had condensed down to a rather small space, piled high with boxes brought back from workshops, and compounded by some boxes not being unpacked from when we moved in a year ago.No before photo, because I forgot to take one, but this is after:

Shelves immediately facing the door now contain smaller boxes, including hand embroidery threads, and my soda soaked fabrics.

 This is my main fabric storage shelves, which still need a bit of a tidy to rationalise them down to a manageable level, but they are useable now.

The bookcase got a tidy, sorting it out to just the books I am referring to regularly at the moment. The box in front of it is all my sets of materials. I need to get some large popper folders, and then sort them out much more neatly, but at least they are in one pace and not in heaps getting damaged. The magazine files contain inspiration for current projects, so I have somewhere to put ephemera, photos and related items.

The desk got a tidy. It still needs more work, especially if it is to be useful as a desk, rather than a storage place for the big printer, but it is in a better state. I got a plastic drawer unit for all the speciality papers, which makes them much easier to find.

My big, beautiful desk. Not much change here, just that the roll storage area on the right is more full (another area to sort soon). My small table is butted up against the desk as I am free machining a large wall quilt at the moment, so it means the desk can take the weight of the quilt.

My main shelves. Another area which is working well, I just need to sort the paints out and get space on the shelf for the trays of pots of dye. The bottom shelves under here now contain free machining kit, and the massive and very full box of white cotton, so I have no excuse for not printing on fabric!

The second set of shelves. These still need a sort out, but I can now get to all my scraps boxes (the coloured cubes).

And back over to the door. Behind it there is a useful area for storing canvases, large pieces of foam board for mounting, the iron, and the blue step.


So there you go, a tour of my room. It feels massive and very useable now. Something to remember when I have (inevitably) messed it up in a few months time.

I also sorted my machine threads into better zip lock bags which actually close. Can you tell which I like more, purple or yellow?!


And as part of tidying up, I found both the barrier cream and roller heads I thought I had lost, so I bought more. Oh well, at least they keep, and now I have plenty!

Day 59

Today I woke up quite early, unpacked my bags from yesterday’s fun day of creativity, then sorted my printed papers into lots of lovely piles, sorted by theme.

IMG_2117

IMG_2115

IMG_2116

I then set about cutting stamps with my sizzix dies, which I’m looking forward to using in an incorporated way:

IMG_2118

IMG_2120

IMG_2121

IMG_2119

IMG_2122

IMG_2126

IMG_2123

IMG_2125

I’ve still got the tattered leaves die to cut stamps from, which my mum and dad got me for Christmas.

I also made these tiny stamps with leftover bits:

IMG_2124

Later on in the afternoon, my husband and I went through the overflowing UFO box, sorting it into piles by the amount of time/effort which needs doing to finish the items.

It went from an overflowing box, via lots of lovely piles:

IMG_2127

IMG_2130

IMG_2129

IMG_2131

IMG_2128

To this lovely tidy box:

IMG_2132

Looking forward to finishing these!