Day 86

Today, I continued the free machine embroidery of yesterday to make another figure:



I switched the metallic to gold, and lowered the top tension to make it show up better, which worked well. (Note for future, Madeira Metallics, top tension 3)

Inspired by Sally, I also put a khadi paper zig zag book in a bag with some dye (violet was the one my hand landed on first, my favourite!), and I’m hoping it’ll all soak up, ombré style :



Advertisements

Day 81

Today was the third day of the Fashion, Embroidery and Stitch show. Simon joined mum and I for a look round the textile art, which was very enjoyable. We enjoyed looking at and chatting about all the art on display, as well as to the artists who shared their work and their knowledge.

One such artist is Lynda Monk, who was demonstrating work using spunbond and xpandaprint. I have had both of these in my stash for a while but not really used them, so when we got home, I got them out and painted a couple of figures, as well as some background stamping:



(The pot is holding it down because the is a crease in the spunbond. The xpandaprint has a shelf life of about 6 months, so I added a BBE date)



You can just about see the xpandaprint in this image.

I then zapped it:



The xpandaprint has raised, really bringing it out. The stamps are very effective, and I love seeing my figures in a different form.

I then coloured the piece with procion Mx dyes:



There was some dye pooling on the surface, so I took a mono print to lift the excess.



While I had the dyes out, I added some dye to various pages in my sketchbook, here are a few pictures:





I love my sun rays stencil, so I got this one, with rays in squares, at the show today:



It has already had an outing, adding dye to these pages:





The last thing I did was to add some treasure gold wax to some sketchbook pages:





Day 47

Having experimented at ‘painting’ sketchbook pages with Procion MX on the Stitch Retreat, I wanted to try this for myself. I found my pots of primary colours of Procion Mx powder, and set to mixing.

The first colour I made was orange, as I wanted to add some to my printed green jugs. Rather fitting as we ran Hilary out of a whole pot of dye on the retreat!

IMG_1991

IMG_1990

I mixed up some green, and a fabulous violet, here on a sketchbook page with some white neocolour 1 as a resist:

IMG_1995

The green looks great on these tags:

IMG_1996

I then made some fuchsia and turquoise straight from the pot, without mixing:

IMG_1994

I have a lovely set of tiny measuring spoons, labelled Dash, Pinch and Smidgen, which I’ve been saving till I got brave enough to mix dye, for about 6 years. They got used, and now my jam jars have stuff like ‘a dash of turquoise, a dash and a smidgen of fuchsia’ written on.

IMG_1993