Bumble Hole Mini Quilt

I have put together a (mostly) textile collage, with fabrics I printed based on Bumble Hole nature reserve. Here it is as a I put it together layer by layer:


The crackle print and butterflies are printed on deli paper, they add a lovely contrast to knock back the main colours.

I didn’t bond the main focal point images of Cobb’s Engine house down, as I prefer to do the background quilting without needing to work round the focal points.
These are the threads I used to quilt it; the yellow is a lovely King Tut, and the other two are Madeira:


Here’s the quilting I did, all in one day! The zigzags are done with the foot on, the rest was free-motion stitched.


I’m pleased with the quilting, my travelling stitches are getting better.

I had to dye one of the background pieces to go along with the collage, as I didn’t have enough comparatively plain fabrics:



I put my sketchbook with Bumble Hole images in it under the fabric while it was drying, and also pressed the wet roll of fabric on the page, so a I got these lovely serendipitous spirals and drips:

Bumble Hole Mini-Quilt

I’m excitedly looking forward to picking my sewing machine up today; it has been serviced, the bobbin case has been replaced, and I have ordered a pack of new Janome bobbins. The non-Janome ones look so alike, but I suspect a non-Janome one was causing my problems.

So in my excitement, I have decided to spend some time this morning composing another small quilt, using the fabrics a I printed up on Bumble Hole. I only had a few fabrics printed, so I was struggling for choices, whereas I print in volume on paper, so I find the composition so much easier. I need to remember to print on fabric in the same volumes as I print on paper; I don’t really know why I don’t do it – I have a whole box of plain fabric to print on, which is now immediately by my print table. I do not have much which is ready for overdyeing (the way I work means that my fabric needs to be soaked in a soda ash solution), and that may be part of it.

So, this is the composition I have laid out:


I need to work out which bridge print I prefer for the top, as well as generally if I am satisfied with it.

Coffee composition

I’m now working on laying out all the printed coffee themed pieces on a large canvas, about 70x100cm.

I divided my prints into foreground, mid and background:


And this is the layout I have come up with. It needs some black and white fabric to lift it – I will go and add that soon: