Bumble Hole Mini Quilt

I have put together a (mostly) textile collage, with fabrics I printed based on Bumble Hole nature reserve. Here it is as a I put it together layer by layer:


The crackle print and butterflies are printed on deli paper, they add a lovely contrast to knock back the main colours.

I didn’t bond the main focal point images of Cobb’s Engine house down, as I prefer to do the background quilting without needing to work round the focal points.
These are the threads I used to quilt it; the yellow is a lovely King Tut, and the other two are Madeira:


Here’s the quilting I did, all in one day! The zigzags are done with the foot on, the rest was free-motion stitched.


I’m pleased with the quilting, my travelling stitches are getting better.

I had to dye one of the background pieces to go along with the collage, as I didn’t have enough comparatively plain fabrics:



I put my sketchbook with Bumble Hole images in it under the fabric while it was drying, and also pressed the wet roll of fabric on the page, so a I got these lovely serendipitous spirals and drips:

Advertisements

Moka Pots – Quilting the Focal Points

I got my sewing machine back from repair today, and it is much better. I finished machine quilting the focal points, and I’m pleased with it so far:


This is the piece so far. The black strips are sealing the edges of the velvet, to stop it fraying. I like it, but I will need to,include black in the hand stitching, bring the hand stitching over the edges, and go for a monochromatic border to balance it up.

Free machining and blocking

I’ve been working on the background of the coffee quilt, getting it all quilted before I put the focal points on.

Fitting in a bit of stitching in the mornings, and a good few hours on Wednesday and today, I’ve now got all the background quilting done:


I had a few problems with my machine, despite cleaning it regularly, there were still some lint buildups, and it started making a birds’ nest in the bobbin case, so I left it for a day and then re-cleaned it, and luckily it worked fine again:


The all over quilting is a checkerboard pattern of alternating squares of coffee beans and wiggly basket weave grids:


It is easier to see on this photo of the back of the quilt:


Some of the stitching is quite dense, so the piece needs blocking. You can see how distorted the middle section is here:


Here it is, all pinned out on my blocking board:


I’m looking forward to getting it off and stitching the focal points next.

Free machining troubles and some book pages

I was making good progress on the Moka pots quilt. I got all the focal points bonded on:


I then started machine stitching on the newly applied focal points, when my machine made (another) terrible crunch. I took it apart to clean, and noticed this big gouge in the bobbin case:


In front of the hook.

After a bit of a glum moment, I packed the machine away, and did some hand stitching on the Bumble hole book, working with lovely perle cotton:


A lovely way to relax after the annoyance of the machine incident. I’ll take it in for a service soon.

Free machining and blocking

I’ve been working on the background of the coffee quilt, getting it all quilted before I put the focal points on.

Fitting in a bit of stitching in the mornings, and a good few hours on Wednesday and today, I’ve now got all the background quilting done:


I had a few problems with my machine, despite cleaning it regularly, there were still some lint buildups, and it started making a birds’ nest in the bobbin case, so I left it for a day and then re-cleaned it, and luckily it worked fine again:


The all over quilting is a checkerboard pattern of alternating squares of coffee beans and wiggly basket weave grids:


It is easier to see on this photo of the back of the quilt:


Some of the stitching is quite dense, so the piece needs blocking. You can see how distorted the middle section is here:


Here it is, all pinned out on my blocking board:


I’m looking forward to getting it off and stitching the focal points next.

Hot Fruit: update

Following on from the paper piecing in the previous post, I started a series of 8″ by 10″ mini quilts, and I’m using them to practice my free motion stitching.

First, this one:

Strippy background, combining my hand printed fabrics, a green hand dyed fabric and a commercial black and white stripe: 

With focal point lemons:

  

Echo quilted:

   
 Then added colour with gelatos, and hand stitch:

   

    
 
And this one, all pinned out:
 
I then added a ‘McTavishing’ machine stitch, following the video on Leah Day’s website  

 
With gelatos and hand stitch:

    

I’ve also stitched into the collage I started yesterday; it just needs gelatos and hand stitch now:

 

I’m running low on this variegated thread!

 

I have also finished the paper piecing on this piece, I just need to work out how to stitch it – it is all paper, and I don’t want it to tear:  

So, rather a lot of stitching recently. The concerted practice is paying off.