Finished Free Motion Embroidery on the Pear

I have now finished free motion embroidery on the pear:

  
Overall, I am pleased with it. The purpose of the project was to give me more free motion practice, and I feel that my control over the fabric has improved – I no longer feel the need to grip it tight. I am better at travelling along previously stitched lines, too.

I now want to do some hand stitching into the pear, to add a stalk, and perhaps some more texture.

In future, I think I need to leave some overlaps between the pieced backgrounds, as they are bondawebbed down, and there are gaps in places.

Here is a little video of how it developed:

As an aside, one of the small things I liked about the 365 days of creativity was the lack of need to think of a title for each post, so if the titles are a bit rubbish, they are not my forte!

Advertisements

Finished Free Motion Embroidery on the Pear

I have now finished free motion embroidery on the pear:

  
Overall, I am pleased with it. The purpose of the project was to give me more free motion practice, and I feel that my control over the fabric has improved – I no longer feel the need to grip it tight. I am better at travelling along previously stitched lines, too.

I now want to do some hand stitching into the pear, to add a stalk, and perhaps some more texture.

In future, I think I need to leave some overlaps between the pieced backgrounds, as they are bondawebbed down, and there are gaps in places.

Here is a little video of how it developed:

Free Machine Practice

My last piece of free machining wasn’t as fluid as I had hoped, so I decided I needed to make some practice pieces. Taking inspiration from the stitch retreat, I created this piece, with a background of half-square triangles:

  
The purple strip at the bottom is from the first quilt I made. It is 10 inches high by 8 inches wide, and as it has an inch or more of solid purple it meets the requirements for the Contemporary Quilt Groups Journal Quilt project. I am not a member of the Quilters’ Guild, but I wanted a monthly challenge, and my friend Judith does this one, so I decided to play along!

  
I have started the machining, with some wiggles along the bottom, inspired by Leah Day’s Etch’n’Sketch pattern.

I wanted to practice my pebbling too, so I watched Leah Day’s pebbling video, and then had a go. I am pleased with it for a first attempt, it is a pattern I enjoy when doodling, but had never succeded to make anything more than a messy scribble before now.

  
About 45 minutes of machining. It is quite time consuming, but very enjoyable. I am getting better at relaxing, moving my hands slowly and travelling neatly over my previous stitches. I love how repeatedly going round one circle really lifts it.

Day 86

Today, I continued the free machine embroidery of yesterday to make another figure:



I switched the metallic to gold, and lowered the top tension to make it show up better, which worked well. (Note for future, Madeira Metallics, top tension 3)

Inspired by Sally, I also put a khadi paper zig zag book in a bag with some dye (violet was the one my hand landed on first, my favourite!), and I’m hoping it’ll all soak up, ombré style :



Day 85

Today I I returned to free machine embroidery techniques I  learned on a course with Claire Muir a year ago, and then put into practice making 16 free machined corsages for my wedding!

I got out my new square Barnyarns hoop, hooped up some soluble stabiliser (also from Barnyarns, now I come to think of it!) and started free machining figures. 

The outlines drawn on the soluble fabric. This one is papery, which I like for the ability to easily draw on it.



The first figure with the base layer of embroidery, done with black Guitermann in the bobbin and a dark red Guitermann on top. There is also some fishing wire stitched into the zig zag outline for stability, though I might try omitting that on a future one.



I’ve added a top layer with copper metallic in the bobbin:



As the weight of thread is different to the Guitermann, it comes out more as black with copper accents, which I like, but a different bobbin thread might be better.



I do have silver, green and purple metallic threads with matching lightweight bobbin thread, however at the moment I’m looking to work in earthy colours. I looked in my thread box and had a terrible selection of brown, so red it is!

I also started the next figure:



Day 64

Today I experimented with machine stitching into printed khadi paper, starting with these prints I’d made of jugs:

IMG_2165

IMG_2164

IMG_2162

IMG_2163

The biggest thing I learned here was to make sure I only picked up one piece at a time! I accidentally stitched my first two together, perforating the papers and I had to unpick. Luckily these were my tester pieces.

While I had the machine threaded up with suitable colours, I added some machine stitching to this collage:

IMG_2166

I’m pleased with how it’s going so far. I had to stop as I’d reached the end of the green thread and dinner was ready.